Friday, September 27, 2024

United Nations Postcards, Part 2

Cont'd from Part 1:

The Soviet representative waited for translation, then responded:

Zorin: This is not a court of law, I do not need to provide a yes or no answer...

Stevenson: You can answer yes or no. You have denied they exist. I want to know if I understood you correctly. I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over, if that's your decision. And I am also prepared to present the evidence in this room.

US Ambassador Adlai Stevenson addresses the UN Security Council and his Soviet counterpart Valerian Zorin on 25 October 1962.

*  *  *

I am more proficient at buying postcards than I am at fluently interpreting their subjects. The Stevenson-Zorin exchange is just a dramatic example of a single UN Security Council discussion which has been popularized in movies and history documentaries. 

I watched with interest, on 24 September 2024, the statement by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the Security Council regarding the ongoing war with Russia - as well as the statements made by other members.

Included at the end is some concise detail on the original intentions behind the organization of the United Nations and its agencies - eight decades ago.


*  *  *


*  *  *


*  *  *



*  *  *



*  *  *

from: The Modern Era; Richards & Cruickshank; 1955; Longman's Canada.

from: The Modern Era; Richards & Cruickshank; 1955; Longman's Canada.